Tripura ex-official jailed in 29 years old case
Agartala: A 75-year-old former Tripura government official was Thursday sentenced to three years in jail by a local court for embezzling Rs 20,000 in 1982, an official said.
West Tripura district Chief Judicial Magistrate TC Roy Bhowmik sentenced Dayal Sundar Das to three years` imprisonment and a fine of Rs 30,000.
Das, then a senior official of West Tripura district administration, hired some buses to carry pilgrims to a religious fair in southern Tripura. He had drawn the fund of Rs 20,111 but did not pay the bus operator - the government-run Tripura Road Transport Corporation, said an official of the district administration.
The official told reporters that subsequently, the matter came to the notice of the authorities and a case was filed against Das. He was immediately suspended from service. But the case dragged on for 29 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times