Tripura gives land rights to poor tribals
Devendranagar (West Tripura): As part of efforts to improve lives of the weaker section, Tripura has given land rights to more than one lakh tribal families under the landmark Schedule Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006.
An official of the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council said the government was making special efforts to improve lives of the state`s poor tribals by giving them land rights and taking up educational and economic schemes.
"This is unique. The state has been in the forefront of implementation of the Forest Rights Act. This is a major initiative for the development of tribals in the state," Ranjit Debbarma, chief executive member of the TTADC, said.
The government initiative has brought cheer to the lives of tribals like Shambhu Charan Debbarma who till the other day earned his livelihood by doing shifting cultivation.
Debbarma, who lives with his family at this hill top hamlet falling under the TTAADC, is now a full-fledged cultivator and owner of an orchard.
He was given patta of six bighas in a forest under the act where he grew lemon trees with the tribal council coming to his aid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!