Tripura gives land rights to poor tribals
Devendranagar (West Tripura): As part of efforts to improve lives of the weaker section, Tripura has given land rights to more than one lakh tribal families under the landmark Schedule Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006.
An official of the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council said the government was making special efforts to improve lives of the state`s poor tribals by giving them land rights and taking up educational and economic schemes.
"This is unique. The state has been in the forefront of implementation of the Forest Rights Act. This is a major initiative for the development of tribals in the state," Ranjit Debbarma, chief executive member of the TTADC, said.
The government initiative has brought cheer to the lives of tribals like Shambhu Charan Debbarma who till the other day earned his livelihood by doing shifting cultivation.
Debbarma, who lives with his family at this hill top hamlet falling under the TTAADC, is now a full-fledged cultivator and owner of an orchard.
He was given patta of six bighas in a forest under the act where he grew lemon trees with the tribal council coming to his aid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus
- 'Raped woman' remark: Finally, Salman Khan speaks to media - Here's what he said
- 'Unguided missile Subramanian Swamy has backfired at BJP'
- Applications of Pak, India for NSG membership cannot be considered in isolation: Pakistan Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- US election is about more than beating Donald Trump: Senator Bernie Sanders