Tripura government flayed over fake certificate
Agartala: The Opposition on Saturday denounced Tripura`s Left Front government after an official probe found that a ruling party legislator had falsely claimed he was a Dalit.
West Tripura District Magistrate and Collector Brijesh Pandey said in a confidential report to the government that Revolutionary Socialist Party`s (RSP) Partha Das did not belong to the Scheduled Caste community.
RSP is a partner of the Left Front. The issue rocked the Budget session of the Tripura Assembly.
Das was elected in 2008 from south Tripura`s Shalgarah Assembly constituency, reserved for the Scheduled Caste.
"The Left Front, which always advocates transparency and honesty, is illegally giving shelter to a fake certificate holder legislators," opposition leader Ratan Lal Nath told reporters.
Scheduled Caste Welfare Minister Jitendra Chowdhury said: "The matter is under judicial scrutiny of the Guwahati High Court as the legislator has challenged the show-cause notice of the sub-divisional magistrate of Sadar sub-division and sought court`s intervention."
The Tripura district magistrate report, leaked to the media, said the Scheduled Caste certificate of Partha Das` elder brother Chandan Kumar Das, a government doctor, had been cancelled earlier.
He was dismissed from service for filing a false certificate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional