Tripura government flayed over fake certificate
Agartala: The Opposition on Saturday denounced Tripura`s Left Front government after an official probe found that a ruling party legislator had falsely claimed he was a Dalit.
West Tripura District Magistrate and Collector Brijesh Pandey said in a confidential report to the government that Revolutionary Socialist Party`s (RSP) Partha Das did not belong to the Scheduled Caste community.
RSP is a partner of the Left Front. The issue rocked the Budget session of the Tripura Assembly.
Das was elected in 2008 from south Tripura`s Shalgarah Assembly constituency, reserved for the Scheduled Caste.
"The Left Front, which always advocates transparency and honesty, is illegally giving shelter to a fake certificate holder legislators," opposition leader Ratan Lal Nath told reporters.
Scheduled Caste Welfare Minister Jitendra Chowdhury said: "The matter is under judicial scrutiny of the Guwahati High Court as the legislator has challenged the show-cause notice of the sub-divisional magistrate of Sadar sub-division and sought court`s intervention."
The Tripura district magistrate report, leaked to the media, said the Scheduled Caste certificate of Partha Das` elder brother Chandan Kumar Das, a government doctor, had been cancelled earlier.
He was dismissed from service for filing a false certificate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!