Tripura introduces Human rights course in schools
Agartala: Setting an example for the rest
of the country, Tripura government has introduced human rights
as one of the subjects in school curricula, official sources
said on Tuesday.
The subject will be incorporated as part of social
education subjects for students between Class VI to Class VIII
to make people aware of their legal and constitutional rights.
The State Council of Educational Research and Training
have published the text book titled `Human Rights in Social
and Political life`, to be introduced in the current academic
Krishna Keshab Roy, president of the Tripura unit of
Institute of Human Rights Education (IHRE), said they would
take up the matter with the state government again so that the
subject could be introduced in cirricula up to college level.
Roy said that Chief Minister Manik Sarkar has assured
the subject would be included in higher classes and also
suggested to take up the matter with the Tripura Central
University so that it could be introduced there also.
The National President of Institute of Human Rights
Education (IHRE), I Devasahayam, told reporters that the state
has set an example for the rest of the country.
"We have long been trying to make human rights a part
of the academic curricula, but Tripura did the job first in
the country," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan