Tripura may get a separate high court
Agartala: Tripura is likely to get a separate High Court this month, official sources said on Sunday.
"Union Law ministry and Supreme court are discussing setting up of a separate High Court for Tripura on March 25.
Though we have not received any official letter yet, the union Law Secretary has discussed the matter with us verbally and asked us to remain ready for it", Tripura Law Secretary Data Mohan Jamatiya told reporters.
Official sources said, Dipak Gupta, a judge of Himachal Pradesh High Court was appointed the first Chief Justice of Tripura High Court who would be administered oath of office and secrecy by the Governor of Tripura on March 23.
Sources said, two other states - Meghalaya and Manipur also would get separate High Courts during the time.
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Althamas Kabir and Union Law Minister Aswin Kumar would remain present in the inauguration programme.
Jamatiya said, a notification would be issued by the Rastrapati Bhavan for setting up of the separate High Courts for Tripura, Meghalaya and Mizoram.
Population wise Tripura is bigger than Manipur and about 52,000 cases are pending in different courts, including 6,000 in the Agartala bench of Gauhati High Court, and the figure is on the rise due to shortage of judges.
The obligatory amendment of the North-Eastern Areas (Re-organisation) Act, 1971 and Other Related Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2012 -- was passed by the parliament in May last, which facilitated the way for setting up of separate high court in the state.
At present the Agartala bench is working under the Gauhati High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez