Tripura MLAs concerned over Rudra Sagar plight
Agartala: Cutting across political line,
Tripura Assembly members on Tuesday expressed concern over the
plight of Rudra Sagar, the lone palace lake in the entire
Replaying to a notice moved by Sukumar Barman and
Manindra Chandra Das, members of treasury bench, Tourism
Minister Jitendra Chowdhury said the government has been
trying its best to revive the glory of 15th Century lake.
Chowdhury said an internally acclaimed organisation-
Wetland International, South Asia (WISA), had envisaged an
action plan to save the Rudra Sagar following a directive from
the Ministry of Forest and Environment.
However, the plan amounting to Rs 7.62 crore was
rejected by the Centre on the ground of unrealistic cost.
About 42 percent area of the Rudra Sagar, which had
received `national lake` tag, is being used for farming
causing a disastrous impact on its ecology.
In the year 2007, another action plan was prepared by
the Brahamputra Board following request from the state
government. "The project amounting to Rs. 14.96 crore has been
sent to the Central Water Commission but the state government
is yet to receive any positive response," he said.
Barman wanted to know whether the government will
undertake excavation on the `dying` lake. In reply, Tourism
Minister said huge money would be required to carry out
dredging on the entire wetland area.
Opposition leader Ratan Lal Nath also voiced concern
over the dying condition of the 81-year-old palace lake and
appealed the House for taking all steps to save it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert