Tripura probing juvenile home death of Nigerian
Agartala: No headway has yet been made into the probe on the death of Nigerian 17-year-old footballer Auro Azendu Joel, who was found dead in a juvenile home in Tripura three days ago, officials said Saturday.
"He was found dead at a Tripura government-run juvenile home at Narshingarh (near Agartala) on Wednesday night. The death might be because of illness. However, our probe is on," Deputy Superintendent of Police (Central) Rajendra Datta told reporters.
Joel was staying at the home since September 14, under the order of a local court after he was detained by Indian immigration officials. He was subsequently arrested by the police for allegedly forging a visa while going to Bangladesh through the Akhaurah check post, near here.
"Juvenile home officials took him to the GB Medical College and Hospital after he felt chest pain. Doctors at the hospital said he was brought dead," Datta said.
An inquest was conducted into the death, and police said a report is awaited.
The police official said that the young footballer, before his death, told police interrogators that he came to India 2010 and played in several south Indian clubs.
He was going to Bangladesh through Tripura to play football there on behalf of the clubs.
The deceased was the fourth Nigerian national, besides one from Sierra Leone, caught on visa forgery charges or illegal trespass from Bangladesh at different border check posts in Tripura this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened