Tripura probing juvenile home death of Nigerian
Agartala: No headway has yet been made into the probe on the death of Nigerian 17-year-old footballer Auro Azendu Joel, who was found dead in a juvenile home in Tripura three days ago, officials said Saturday.
"He was found dead at a Tripura government-run juvenile home at Narshingarh (near Agartala) on Wednesday night. The death might be because of illness. However, our probe is on," Deputy Superintendent of Police (Central) Rajendra Datta told reporters.
Joel was staying at the home since September 14, under the order of a local court after he was detained by Indian immigration officials. He was subsequently arrested by the police for allegedly forging a visa while going to Bangladesh through the Akhaurah check post, near here.
"Juvenile home officials took him to the GB Medical College and Hospital after he felt chest pain. Doctors at the hospital said he was brought dead," Datta said.
An inquest was conducted into the death, and police said a report is awaited.
The police official said that the young footballer, before his death, told police interrogators that he came to India 2010 and played in several south Indian clubs.
He was going to Bangladesh through Tripura to play football there on behalf of the clubs.
The deceased was the fourth Nigerian national, besides one from Sierra Leone, caught on visa forgery charges or illegal trespass from Bangladesh at different border check posts in Tripura this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion
- Bomb disposal squad deployed in central England after arrests
- US Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal drawn for potential semi-final clash
- Long traffic jams may increase risk of cancer!