Tripura provides most jobs under NREGA
Agartala: Tripura has once again topped all the states in implementing the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), which guarantees minimum job days to people in rural areas, a minister said here on Saturday.
State Rural Development Minister Jitendra Chaudhury, quoting a performance report of the union rural development ministry, told reporters: "Tripura stands at the top in terms of person-days generation of 45 so far in the current fiscal (2011-2012), followed by Andhra Pradesh (39.19 person-days) and Sikkim (38.39)."
Others in the top 10 list are Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Lakshwadeep, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
The MGNREGA guarantees 100 days of employment in a financial year to a rural household whose adult members volunteer to do unskilled manual work.
Tripura has also topped in getting per head fund allocation from the central government and providing wages to MGNREGA workers through banks, the report added.
The minister claimed that in 2010-11 and previous years too, Tripura secured the top position in the country by providing on an average of 67 man-days to people under rural job scheme.
Criticising the central government for delayed allocation of funds under the MGNREGA, the minister said that due to this delay, the target of 100 man-days in a year was not possible in the country.
The Tripura government is also providing wages to MGNREGA workers at their door steps through business correspondents engaged by various nationalised and regional rural banks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next
- 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore train derail in Kerala
- Hilarious: Sonakshi Sinha trolls Air India pilot on Snapchat! - Know why
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?