Tripura remains on top in providing rural jobs
Agartala: Left-ruled Tripura provided 86.27 days of work under the central government`s flagship rural jobs scheme in fiscal 2012-13, the highest in the country, a minister said here Tuesday.
Quoting the performance report of the union rural development ministry, state Rural Development Minister Jitendra Chaudhury told reporters that Tripura has been providing the highest average employment for the past four years under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA).
The MGNREGA mandates 100 days of employment in a financial year to one member of each rural household.
According to the rural development ministry`s performance report, the national average of jobs created in the last fiscal was 39 days and 42 days in 2011-12.
"Tripura retained the top position since 2009-10 fiscal in terms of person-days generation. In the 2012-13 financial year Tripura provided 86.27 person-days, highest in the country, followed by Mizoram (69.25 person-days), Tamil Nadu (51.26) and Andhra Pradesh (49.61)," Chaudhury said citing the central government report.
He said other states in the top 10 in terms of person-days include Maharashtra (48.52), Sikkim (47.69), Andaman and Nicobar (47.02), Kerala (45.34), Rajasthan (44.46) and Himachal Pradesh (43.44).
The minister said that Tripura could improve further in terms of creation of person-days of work if there were no administrative problems in view of the Feb 14 assembly polls.
He said Tripura has also in the leading position in the country in participation of women and tribals in MGNREGA with percentages of 41 percent and 43 percent respectively.
The minister said Tripura has also expected a rise in its allocation for the current fiscal for MGNREGA, which first introduced in the state in only one district (Dhalai district) in 2006 followed by remaining seven districts.
Tripura government is providing wages to MGNREGA workers at their door steps through business correspondents engaged by various nationalised and regional rural banks, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people