Tripura to step up counter insurgency operation
Agartala: Counter insurgency operations
would be intensified by the Tripura government following a notification by the Centre on link up of two insurgent groups with those outside the state, official sources said Wednesday.
The banned National Liberation Front of Tripura (NLFT)
and the All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTF) have established links
with the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) and Meitei extremist outfits of Manipur, they said.
"If there is no immediate curb and control of the NLFT
and the ATTF, they will take the opportunity to mobilise their
cadres for escalating secessionist, subversive and violent
activities and indulge in killings of civilians and target
police and security personnel," a gazette notification, dated October three, by the Ministry of Home Affairs said.
The state government extended the terms of the Armed
Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA) for another six months to
deal effectively with the insurgent outfits, they said.
A total of 74 persons mostly tribals were kidnapped by
the NLFT and ATTF, they said. Last year, 114 people were
kidnapped by ultras and 121 in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31