Tripura troopers for Mizoram Assembly polls
Agartala: Elite Tripura State Rifles (TSR) troopers will provide security during the Nov 25 Assembly polls in Mizoram, officials said here on Wednesday.
"Around 500 TSR troopers, led by Commandant Abhijit Chowdhury, would go to poll-bound Mizoram by mid of next month. Union home ministry asked the Tripura government to send five companies of TSR to Mizoram," a senior Tripura home department official told a news agency.
He said the deployment of the TSR troopers in Mizoram would be at the discretion of the Union Home Ministry and the Election Commission of India.
"Besides providing security during Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in 2010, the India Reserve (IR) battalions of TSR were earlier sent to Bihar, West Bengal, Assam, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand to provide security during various elections in these states," the official said.
The TSR, trained for counter insurgency operations, was constituted in March 1984 to deal with terrorism in Tripura. Seventy-five percent of its troopers are from Tripura while the remaining are from across the country.
At present, there are 12 TSR battalions in the northeastern state, of which nine are India Reserve battalions, which means they can be deployed anywhere in India by the union home ministry.
"The TSR has been modelled on the pattern of Border Security Force and Assam Rifles. It has played an important role in curbing terrorism in Tripura," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe