Tripura votes to elect tribal council
Agartala: Amid heavy security, polling was under way in Tripura Monday to elect a Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC).
The authorities sealed the 856-km-long India-Bangladesh border with Tripura and deployed over 15,000 paramilitary and state security forces across the state, Director General of Police Pranay Sahaya said.
Night curfew has been clamped in some areas while over 3,000 people have been detained as a precaution, he said.
The TTAADC facilitates the socio-economic development of tribal areas. Tribals constitute a third of Tripura`s 3.5 million population.
In all 162 aspirants, including 10 women, are contesting the 30-seat TTAADC. Balloting in one seat was postponed after a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate died after being bitten by a dog.
The ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M)-led Left Front, the Congress and the Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT), a tribal based party, are the dominant players.
The BJP and Trinamool Congress have also put up candidates for 22 and 13 seats respectively while 43 independents are in the fray.
For the first time, photo identity cards have been made compulsory for voters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know