Tripura wants railway division
Agartala: With a railway division to be set up at Silchar in Assam, Tripura Transport Minister Manik Dey on Friday questioned why one could not be set up in his state.
"We have come to know that some more new railway divisions will be created in the country, including one in Silchar in southern Assam. We are not against it, but why a division will not be created here?" Dey asked.
He told reporters that there was a railway division in Lumding in Assam which was 398 km away from Agartala and from there the railway line would be extended to Sabroom in South Tripura district, a distance of 110 km.
"The distance between Sabroom and South East Asia?s best port, Chittagong, is just 75 km. If the railway reaches Sabroom, there is proposal that it would be connected to Chittagong port by multi modal transport system.”
"So, creation of a rail division in Tripura also assumes significance from the international point of view," he said.
Referring to his letters written earlier, he said , "after the railway reached here in meter gauge format on October 5 in 2008, I wrote two letters to Railway Board for setting up a railway division and a railway recruitment centre here."
"But they turned down our request through a letter on May 26, 2010. It is a clear instance of deprivation and failure to understand the importance of the place," he claimed.
He said, Chief Minister Manik Sarkar also met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to request him to set up a railway division.
Agartala was important because it was a state capital and a 15 km long railway track would be laid soon to connect Akhaura in Bangladesh for linking the Bangla-India railway network for train services to Kolkata via the neighbouring country, he added.
He said that gauge conversion from meter gauge to broad gauge up to Agartala would be completed by March next year and extension of 50 km railway track from Agartala to Udaipur in Gomati district would be completed in the same period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House