Tripura`s Neermahal palace catches tourist fancy
Melaghar (Tripura): Neermahal, the iconic
red and white palace on the famed Rudrasagar Lake here in West
Tripura, has become a tourist hot spot, a long 81 years after
it was built.
Taking note of its rising popularity among tourists, the
Centre has decided to provide money for a facelift of the
palace built by Maharaja Bir Bikram Kishore Manikya Bahadur in
Officials of the Tripura Tourist Department said that
the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Tourism, headed by
Sitaram Yechury, had last February recommended renovation of
the water palace, a blend of distinct Hindu and Islamic
The Standing Committee has asked the Tripura government
to prepare a detailed project report for renovation of
Neermahal, the only palace of its kind in eastern India
and comparable to the lake palace in Udaipur in Rajasthan.
The committee has proposed to increase the water level
of the lake, construction of a ring road around the palace,
retrofitting of the palace and preservation of biodiversity.
The officials said that a Rs 40-crore project had been
envisaged, which includes renovation of the building,
development of catchment areas of the lake, preservation of
bio-diversity, dredging of the lake and rehabilitation of the
fishermen`s community and protection of their livelihood.
There is also a plan to preserve the bio-diversity and
take proper care of Noyacherra, a stream which is the source
of the lake.
Extensive dredging has been planned for increasing
the water level of the lake which has shrunk to just 374
hectares at present from 2,066 hectares in 1947.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today