Trooper kidnaps senior in Tripura, commits suicide
Agartala: A trooper of the elite Tripura State Rifles (TSR) kidnapped his senior colleague and a driver at gunpoint before opening indiscriminate fire and later shooting himself with his service weapon late Thursday, police here said on Friday.
"A police team, led by sub-inspector Debasish Saha, was doing routine vehicle checking in the city Thursday night when a TSR trooper, Thakur Das Paul, fired two rounds and forced Saha in a vehicle and compelled the driver to speed up," Inspector General Nepal Das said.
A TSR trooper was seriously injured while trying to stop the vehicle. He has been admitted to hospital, police said.
"The `rough cop` opened indiscriminate fire from his rifle. However after travelling around 25 km to the Kalyanpur area where the vehicle ran out of fuel, the jawan fled leaving the police official and driver behind," Das said.
An alert was sounded and security was beefed up. All the police and Border Security Force posts in the state were put on high alert to nab the fleeing trooper from the 11th TSR battalion, who hailed from Haryana.
The trooper later shot himself with his service rifle and his body was found in a jungle at Kalyanpur early Friday, a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?