Trooper kidnaps senior in Tripura, commits suicide
Agartala: A trooper of the elite Tripura State Rifles (TSR) kidnapped his senior colleague and a driver at gunpoint before opening indiscriminate fire and later shooting himself with his service weapon late Thursday, police here said on Friday.
"A police team, led by sub-inspector Debasish Saha, was doing routine vehicle checking in the city Thursday night when a TSR trooper, Thakur Das Paul, fired two rounds and forced Saha in a vehicle and compelled the driver to speed up," Inspector General Nepal Das said.
A TSR trooper was seriously injured while trying to stop the vehicle. He has been admitted to hospital, police said.
"The `rough cop` opened indiscriminate fire from his rifle. However after travelling around 25 km to the Kalyanpur area where the vehicle ran out of fuel, the jawan fled leaving the police official and driver behind," Das said.
An alert was sounded and security was beefed up. All the police and Border Security Force posts in the state were put on high alert to nab the fleeing trooper from the 11th TSR battalion, who hailed from Haryana.
The trooper later shot himself with his service rifle and his body was found in a jungle at Kalyanpur early Friday, a police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie