Twenty injured in GJM-JJM clash
Siliguri: At least 20 people were injured when supporters of the Jana Jagaran Morcha, an organisation of non-Nepalese people opposed to Gorkhaland, and GJM supporters clashed at Malbazar in Jalpaiguri district, police said Wednesday.
The clash took place when a motor-cycle rally of GJM supporters from Kalchini was intercepted by Jana Jagaran Morcha (JJM) supporters at Caltax More yesterday, Additional Superintendent of Police, Jalpaiguri, V Soloman told reporters.
JJM President Apurba Das was seriously injured in the clash.
The JJM supporters said the rallyists had no formal permission to hold the meeting at Kalimpong. This resulted in an exchange of words culminating in a clash in which both
sides pelted stones.
Police took the GJM supporters to a police station for their safety but the agitated JJM supporters, joined by local people, attacked the police station. The police burst five
tear gas shells to bring the situation under control.
SSB jawans held a flag march in the area and in the evening, the rallists left for Kalimpong escorted by security guards.
Publicity chief of GJM Harka Bahadur Chheri today blamed the police for yesterday`s incident as it had stopped a "peaceful rally under the pretext of absence of formal
permission for the meeting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof