Twenty injured in GJM-JJM clash
Siliguri: At least 20 people were injured when supporters of the Jana Jagaran Morcha, an organisation of non-Nepalese people opposed to Gorkhaland, and GJM supporters clashed at Malbazar in Jalpaiguri district, police said Wednesday.
The clash took place when a motor-cycle rally of GJM supporters from Kalchini was intercepted by Jana Jagaran Morcha (JJM) supporters at Caltax More yesterday, Additional Superintendent of Police, Jalpaiguri, V Soloman told reporters.
JJM President Apurba Das was seriously injured in the clash.
The JJM supporters said the rallyists had no formal permission to hold the meeting at Kalimpong. This resulted in an exchange of words culminating in a clash in which both
sides pelted stones.
Police took the GJM supporters to a police station for their safety but the agitated JJM supporters, joined by local people, attacked the police station. The police burst five
tear gas shells to bring the situation under control.
SSB jawans held a flag march in the area and in the evening, the rallists left for Kalimpong escorted by security guards.
Publicity chief of GJM Harka Bahadur Chheri today blamed the police for yesterday`s incident as it had stopped a "peaceful rally under the pretext of absence of formal
permission for the meeting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy