Twenty injured in GJM-JJM clash
Siliguri: At least 20 people were injured when supporters of the Jana Jagaran Morcha, an organisation of non-Nepalese people opposed to Gorkhaland, and GJM supporters clashed at Malbazar in Jalpaiguri district, police said Wednesday.
The clash took place when a motor-cycle rally of GJM supporters from Kalchini was intercepted by Jana Jagaran Morcha (JJM) supporters at Caltax More yesterday, Additional Superintendent of Police, Jalpaiguri, V Soloman told reporters.
JJM President Apurba Das was seriously injured in the clash.
The JJM supporters said the rallyists had no formal permission to hold the meeting at Kalimpong. This resulted in an exchange of words culminating in a clash in which both
sides pelted stones.
Police took the GJM supporters to a police station for their safety but the agitated JJM supporters, joined by local people, attacked the police station. The police burst five
tear gas shells to bring the situation under control.
SSB jawans held a flag march in the area and in the evening, the rallists left for Kalimpong escorted by security guards.
Publicity chief of GJM Harka Bahadur Chheri today blamed the police for yesterday`s incident as it had stopped a "peaceful rally under the pretext of absence of formal
permission for the meeting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Hurry! This company is offering Refrigerator and Air Conditioner for just Rs 49
- BMW R5 Hommage Supercharged Concept Unveiled
- Too funny! You can't miss this latest song 'Fake Ishq' from Akshay Kumar's 'Housefull 3' – Watch
- PM Modi inaugurates new passenger trains for Northeast, says government sincere about development of region
- Champions League: WOAH! Fan splurges over Rs 9,00,000 for one football ticket!