Two AR personnel injured in bomb attack in Manipur
Imphal: Two Assam Rifles personnel were on Monday injured when an IED planted by militants exploded on a road in Imphal West district during an insurgents-sponsored general strike in Manipur, official sources said.
The IED, planted on a road between Khordak and Arong Khong, was exploded through remote controlled device while the personnel of 33rd Assam Rifles battalion were patrolling the area at about 1.35 pm.
A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and a naik subedar were seriously injured and admitted to Leimakhong Army Hospital.
Additional forces were sent to the area and all exit points sealed, the sources said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the explosion which occured in the midway of the general strike called by seven insurgent organisations protesting against Manipur`s merger with the union of India on October 15, 1949.
Markets, shops, banks, schools, colleges and entertainment houses remained closed while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled in view of the strike.
Attendance in government offices was almost nil, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!