Two AR personnel injured in bomb attack in Manipur
Imphal: Two Assam Rifles personnel were on Monday injured when an IED planted by militants exploded on a road in Imphal West district during an insurgents-sponsored general strike in Manipur, official sources said.
The IED, planted on a road between Khordak and Arong Khong, was exploded through remote controlled device while the personnel of 33rd Assam Rifles battalion were patrolling the area at about 1.35 pm.
A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and a naik subedar were seriously injured and admitted to Leimakhong Army Hospital.
Additional forces were sent to the area and all exit points sealed, the sources said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the explosion which occured in the midway of the general strike called by seven insurgent organisations protesting against Manipur`s merger with the union of India on October 15, 1949.
Markets, shops, banks, schools, colleges and entertainment houses remained closed while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled in view of the strike.
Attendance in government offices was almost nil, the sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'