Two AR personnel injured in bomb attack in Manipur
Imphal: Two Assam Rifles personnel were on Monday injured when an IED planted by militants exploded on a road in Imphal West district during an insurgents-sponsored general strike in Manipur, official sources said.
The IED, planted on a road between Khordak and Arong Khong, was exploded through remote controlled device while the personnel of 33rd Assam Rifles battalion were patrolling the area at about 1.35 pm.
A Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) and a naik subedar were seriously injured and admitted to Leimakhong Army Hospital.
Additional forces were sent to the area and all exit points sealed, the sources said.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the explosion which occured in the midway of the general strike called by seven insurgent organisations protesting against Manipur`s merger with the union of India on October 15, 1949.
Markets, shops, banks, schools, colleges and entertainment houses remained closed while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states and within the state were cancelled in view of the strike.
Attendance in government offices was almost nil, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth