Two army jawans killed in quake in Sikkim
New Delhi: Two army jawans were killed and
military buildings damaged in the strong earthquake that
rocked Sikkim on Monday.
Three army vehicles and a bus with soldiers are also
reported missing in the North Sikkim area, Army officials said
"There has been fatal casualty of two Army persons in
North Sikkim area. Two to three army vehicles including one
bus with army personnel are also reported missing and efforts
have been launched to locate them," they said.
The army has also started the relief operations and a
large number of civilians have been accommodated in army areas
in Gangtok, Darjeeling and Kalingpong.
After the earthquake, the Siliguri-Gangtok road has also
been blocked and 10 Army Engineering columns have been
deployed to open the road to move rescue and relief and other
engineering equipment to the region.
Arrangements are also being made by Army to facilitate
the deployment of the National Disaster Management teams
reaching the state from various parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian youth severely addicted to toxic drugs
- Leonardo DiCaprio to speak about anti-beef movement at RSS meet in UK
- Bihar rape: Accused five persons still absconding, Police clueless
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- China Airlines workers on indefinite strike in Taiwan
- Pakistan shows its big heart, grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Find out what lies beneath your fingernails!
- It's not about size of role in Hollywood, but experience: Deepika Padukone
- Chhatisgarh to ban commercial vehicles over 10-12 years old