Two Congress MLAs resign over selection of candidates
Agartala: Factional feud in opposition Congress in Tripura came into the open over the selection of candidates for civic poll slated for December 11 with two MLAs
and three functionaries of the Tripura Youth Congress (TYC) resigning from their posts.
A group of Congress activists last evening put the Congress Bhavan under lock and key and also demonstrated before the house of Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee(TPCC)
president Surajit Datta here.
Condemning the incident of locking up the Congress Bhavan, party spokesman and former Information Minister Ratan Chakraborty said "This kind of act had only strenghtened the hands of ruling CPI-M and harmed the prospects of Congress candidates in the fray".
MLA Sudip Roy Burman said he sent his resignation yesterday to AICC President Sonia Gandhi as a mark of protest of unilaterally selecting the candidates for 30-member
Agartala Municapl Council and 15 Nagar Panchayats in the state.
Tripura Youth Congress (TYC) president Sushanta Chowdhury, TYC general secretary Baptu Chakraborty, West Lok Sabha President Titon Paul sent their resignations to the All India Youth Congress president Rajib Shatab yesterday.
Chowdhury and Chakraborty both told reporters that they sent their resignations in protest against selecting candidates by a group of Congress leaders without following
PCC president Surajit Datta said he had received no letter of resignation from any TYC office bearers.
"How can they raise allegation of deprivation when they had never asked me or any other senior office bearer for nomination?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- Eating out, mobile bills, internet, travelling set to get costlier from June 1
- 7 hot tips to stay fit and healthy!
- Barack Obama lays wreath at Hiroshima Memorial, says death fell from the sky and the world changed
- North Korea slams Obama's 'childish' Hiroshima visit