Two Congress MLAs resign over selection of candidates
Agartala: Factional feud in opposition Congress in Tripura came into the open over the selection of candidates for civic poll slated for December 11 with two MLAs
and three functionaries of the Tripura Youth Congress (TYC) resigning from their posts.
A group of Congress activists last evening put the Congress Bhavan under lock and key and also demonstrated before the house of Tripura Pradesh Congress Committee(TPCC)
president Surajit Datta here.
Condemning the incident of locking up the Congress Bhavan, party spokesman and former Information Minister Ratan Chakraborty said "This kind of act had only strenghtened the hands of ruling CPI-M and harmed the prospects of Congress candidates in the fray".
MLA Sudip Roy Burman said he sent his resignation yesterday to AICC President Sonia Gandhi as a mark of protest of unilaterally selecting the candidates for 30-member
Agartala Municapl Council and 15 Nagar Panchayats in the state.
Tripura Youth Congress (TYC) president Sushanta Chowdhury, TYC general secretary Baptu Chakraborty, West Lok Sabha President Titon Paul sent their resignations to the All India Youth Congress president Rajib Shatab yesterday.
Chowdhury and Chakraborty both told reporters that they sent their resignations in protest against selecting candidates by a group of Congress leaders without following
PCC president Surajit Datta said he had received no letter of resignation from any TYC office bearers.
"How can they raise allegation of deprivation when they had never asked me or any other senior office bearer for nomination?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’