Two-day economic blockade in Manipur
Imphal: Movement of goods along the national and state highways has been crippled in Manipur due to an economic blockade enforced by a hill-based committee in support of their demands.
A spokesman of the Kuki State Demand Committee (KSDC) said the economic blockade began from 5 pm last evening to press for their demand for a `Kukiland` by reorganising Manipur.
Reports from the hill district headquarters said not a single vehicle carrying goods plied between Imphal and hill district headquarters and Imphal and neighbouring states because of the economic blockade.
Official sources said efforts would be made at least to bring in essential items and petroleum products from outside Manipur through Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar (NH 53) by giving security to the vehicles.
Supporters of the economic blockade put up stones and other materials on all the highways including national highways to prevent movement of vehicles carrying goods.
Various social organisations and the state government is strongly opposed to the division of Manipur.
Kukis have settled in different parts of hill districts of Ukhrul, Senapati, Churachandpur, Tamenglong, Churachandpur and Chandel at different villages alongside Nagas of different communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda