Two-day economic blockade in Manipur
Imphal: Movement of goods along the national and state highways has been crippled in Manipur due to an economic blockade enforced by a hill-based committee in support of their demands.
A spokesman of the Kuki State Demand Committee (KSDC) said the economic blockade began from 5 pm last evening to press for their demand for a `Kukiland` by reorganising Manipur.
Reports from the hill district headquarters said not a single vehicle carrying goods plied between Imphal and hill district headquarters and Imphal and neighbouring states because of the economic blockade.
Official sources said efforts would be made at least to bring in essential items and petroleum products from outside Manipur through Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar (NH 53) by giving security to the vehicles.
Supporters of the economic blockade put up stones and other materials on all the highways including national highways to prevent movement of vehicles carrying goods.
Various social organisations and the state government is strongly opposed to the division of Manipur.
Kukis have settled in different parts of hill districts of Ukhrul, Senapati, Churachandpur, Tamenglong, Churachandpur and Chandel at different villages alongside Nagas of different communities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post