Two Garo militants killed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Two rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in a gunfight in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills on Sunday, police said.
The battle broke out in Darimgre forests near Williamnagar, the district headquarters, at 7 a.m. when the rebels fired at the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos who were tracking them down, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Rajiv Mehta said.
One the rebel killed was identified as AKJ Momin, while the identity of other slain rebel is yet to be ascertained, he said.
Two other rebels managed to escape while police arrested Krinson N. Marak who is accused of harbouring the GNLA rebels.
Two grenades, one Italian-made pistol and incriminating documents were recovered from the site, police said.
In another incident, a GNLA rebel identified as Tizo Marak was nabbed Saturday from Seven Kilo area near Shallang, a coal-rich area in West Khasi Hills district.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, fighting for a separate state of Garoland, has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western Meghalaya.
The tribal rebel outfit has forged an operational alliance with the Assam-based rebel groups - the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Congress would form govt in UP after 27 years: Sheila Dikshit
- Here's how a 110-year-old lobster Larry rescued from becoming a meal!- See pics
- US, North Korea trade barbs over nuclear weapon tests
- Palestinians seek to sue Britain over 1917 vow to Jews
- PM Modi should also be suspended from House for 'inviting ISI to Pathankot', says AAP MP Bhagwant Mann