Two Garo militants killed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Two rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in a gunfight in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills on Sunday, police said.
The battle broke out in Darimgre forests near Williamnagar, the district headquarters, at 7 a.m. when the rebels fired at the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos who were tracking them down, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Rajiv Mehta said.
One the rebel killed was identified as AKJ Momin, while the identity of other slain rebel is yet to be ascertained, he said.
Two other rebels managed to escape while police arrested Krinson N. Marak who is accused of harbouring the GNLA rebels.
Two grenades, one Italian-made pistol and incriminating documents were recovered from the site, police said.
In another incident, a GNLA rebel identified as Tizo Marak was nabbed Saturday from Seven Kilo area near Shallang, a coal-rich area in West Khasi Hills district.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, fighting for a separate state of Garoland, has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western Meghalaya.
The tribal rebel outfit has forged an operational alliance with the Assam-based rebel groups - the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram