Two Garo militants killed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Two rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) were killed in a gunfight in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills on Sunday, police said.
The battle broke out in Darimgre forests near Williamnagar, the district headquarters, at 7 a.m. when the rebels fired at the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos who were tracking them down, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Rajiv Mehta said.
One the rebel killed was identified as AKJ Momin, while the identity of other slain rebel is yet to be ascertained, he said.
Two other rebels managed to escape while police arrested Krinson N. Marak who is accused of harbouring the GNLA rebels.
Two grenades, one Italian-made pistol and incriminating documents were recovered from the site, police said.
In another incident, a GNLA rebel identified as Tizo Marak was nabbed Saturday from Seven Kilo area near Shallang, a coal-rich area in West Khasi Hills district.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, fighting for a separate state of Garoland, has unleashed a reign of terror in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills in western Meghalaya.
The tribal rebel outfit has forged an operational alliance with the Assam-based rebel groups - the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) and the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...