Two Garo rebels killed in encounter
Shillong: Two Garo rebels were on Saturday shot dead in an encounter with security forces in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district while a self-styled area commander of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) had a narrow escape, officials said.
Acting on a tip off about the presence of the rebels, specially trained commandos of the state police and CRPF`s CoBRA raided Koksi Nengsat village, 32 kilometres from the district headquarters.
On entering the village, the security forces were fired upon, forcing them to retaliate. Two unidentified GNLA militants were shot dead, top police officials told PTI.
The encounter took place at around 6 AM.
Self-styled area commander of the outfit, Jimmy, and his aide Markus Marak escaped unhurt in the nearby thick jungle. Police suspect that there might be more militants involved in the incident.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition besides detonators, gelatin sticks and communication sets were recovered from the spot, police said.
A combing operation is on in the area to nab the remaining rebels.
The GNLA is an outlawed organisation active in at least five Garo Hills districts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader