Two Garo rebels killed in encounter
Shillong: Two Garo rebels were on Saturday shot dead in an encounter with security forces in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district while a self-styled area commander of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) had a narrow escape, officials said.
Acting on a tip off about the presence of the rebels, specially trained commandos of the state police and CRPF`s CoBRA raided Koksi Nengsat village, 32 kilometres from the district headquarters.
On entering the village, the security forces were fired upon, forcing them to retaliate. Two unidentified GNLA militants were shot dead, top police officials told PTI.
The encounter took place at around 6 AM.
Self-styled area commander of the outfit, Jimmy, and his aide Markus Marak escaped unhurt in the nearby thick jungle. Police suspect that there might be more militants involved in the incident.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition besides detonators, gelatin sticks and communication sets were recovered from the spot, police said.
A combing operation is on in the area to nab the remaining rebels.
The GNLA is an outlawed organisation active in at least five Garo Hills districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh