Two Garo rebels killed in encounter
Shillong: Two Garo rebels were on Saturday shot dead in an encounter with security forces in Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district while a self-styled area commander of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) had a narrow escape, officials said.
Acting on a tip off about the presence of the rebels, specially trained commandos of the state police and CRPF`s CoBRA raided Koksi Nengsat village, 32 kilometres from the district headquarters.
On entering the village, the security forces were fired upon, forcing them to retaliate. Two unidentified GNLA militants were shot dead, top police officials told PTI.
The encounter took place at around 6 AM.
Self-styled area commander of the outfit, Jimmy, and his aide Markus Marak escaped unhurt in the nearby thick jungle. Police suspect that there might be more militants involved in the incident.
A huge cache of arms and ammunition besides detonators, gelatin sticks and communication sets were recovered from the spot, police said.
A combing operation is on in the area to nab the remaining rebels.
The GNLA is an outlawed organisation active in at least five Garo Hills districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre