Two IEDs found, NDFB ultras killed in Assam
Guwahati: Two NDFB militants were killed and an identical number of powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) recovered in Assam today following stepped up security measures in the run-up to Republic Day celebrations.
Police said one NDFB militant, belonging to the anti-talk Ranjan Daimary faction, was killed in a joint operation by the police and army at Sessapani under Kokrajhar
The security forces recovered an US-made pistol, two magazines and nine rounds of ammunition from the slain militant, sources said.
In another incident, another NDFB militant, also of the anti-talk faction, was killed in an encounter at Majbat in Udalguri district.
A 9 mm pistol with five rounds of live ammunitions was recovered from the slain militant.
An IED, weighing more than 10 kg, was found from a bus at Mahalipara in Darrang district this evening by patrolling troops of Army`s 65 Field Regiment of the Red Horns Division.
The bus was on its way from Tangla to Mangaldoi and its driver, Ismail Hussain, has been arrested.
Another IED, weighing more than three kg, was found by the forces from Barama in Baksa district.
Security measures throughout the state have been beefed up following intelligence reports of ULFA and NDFB planning to carry out subversive activities ahead of the functions.
The banned ULFA, along with the NDFB and other extremist groups, has also called a boycott of the Republic Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what