Two jawans killed in Manipur
Imphal: Two jawans of Assam Rifles were
killed when insurgents ambushed them at a border village in Manipur`s Churachandpur district bordering Myanmar, official reports said Tuesday.
Reports said the personnel of 39th battalion were
patrolling the border village of Zoukhonuam, close to border
pillar number 46 yesterday when the insurgents attacked them.
In the ensuing encounter, the jawans were killed,
reports said adding that although the encounter lasted for
more than hal-an-hour, the para-military forces were able to
repulse the insurgents who wanted to infiltrate the state for
disturbing the forthcoming assembly polls in Manipur on
Sources said security personnel posted at Indo-Myanmar
border areas have been alerted to prevent entry of any
militants into Manipur so that the polls could be held without
fear and favour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider