Two killed in landslide in Meghalaya
Shillong: Two members of a family were killed in Ri-Bhoi district of Meghalaya when their house was buried in a landslide which took place early Thursday morning even as traffic along the NH 40 connecting Meghalaya with the rest of the country have been closed, official sources said.
"They are believed to be buried in the debris following the landslide which took place early today at 19th mile,” District Superintendent of Police Claudia Lyngwa said.
One woman was fished out dead while officials are trying to dig out the body of another woman, the SP said.
A coal laden truck which was travelling was also completely damaged when the debris pushed it away from the road even as its driver and a handyman miraculously managed to escape unhurt, Lyngwa said.
Torrential rain lashed the area since yesterday and thousands of vehicles making their way into Meghalaya and out of Meghalaya have also been stranded due to the landslide, officials said.
Last evening, traffic was cut for more than two hours in the area due to another landslide but no casualty was reported, officials informed.
District authorities have intensified clearing the debris on the NH 40 to allow flow of traffic.
Police have also been deployed in the area to ease the traffic congestion and bring the situation under control, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price