Two Lashkar militants killed in J&K encounter
Doda: Security forces and police personnel gunned down two dreaded militants of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) outfit along Wanipora Nullah in Sajjan area, about 17 kilometers from Jammu and Kashmir`s Doda District.
The slain militants identified as Javed Ahmed (code name Hurera) son of Gul Mohammad, a resident of village Kashriyani, Doda and Akhter Hussain (code name Mubassir) son of Abdul Rehman, a resident of Jijhot, Jehand, Doda, were commanders of the LeT outfit, active in Doda and Kishtwar districts for the past several years.
The militants were killed in a two-hour long operation from 4 pm to 6 pm on Friday. The security forces or police didn``t suffer any casualties in the operation.
According to official sources, a joint team of 10 Rashtriya Rifles and Doda police launched a search operation at Wanipora Nullah in Sajjan area after developing specific information about the presence of two dreaded LeT militants there.
The militants, who tried to run away, were chased by security forces and police personnel and asked to surrender.
However, the militants opened fire and the security personnel retaliated.
One AK-47 rifle, one .303 rifle, three magazines, 68 rounds, two mobile handsets, one radio set, wire and some explosive material have been recovered from the encounter site.
Some fake currency was also recovered from the spot.
Doda Headquarter Superintendent of Police (SP) Aarif Rishu said with the killing of Hurera and Mubassir, all top militants of the LeT outfit have been eliminated in Doda district. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family