Two militants killed in encounter
Imphal: Two insurgents suspected to have
designs to disturb the assembly poll campaign by the Congress were killed in an encounter with a combined force team in Manipur`s Imphal West district, officials said Friday.
The ultras were suspected to have entered Tabungkhok area
in the district at around 8 PM last night to disturb the poll
campaign by Congress candidate and its supporters following
ban on the party`s nominees by major insurgent organisations.
The security personnel and police were on full alert
following reports that some suspected persons are moving at
Tabungkhok area and rushed to the spot where the encounter
took place between insurgents and a combined team of police
commandos and 18th Sikh Regiment.
In the heavy exchange of fire, the two insurgents were
killed and two 9mm pistols, three hand grenades and 20 rounds
of ammunition were recovered from their persons, they said.
Seven major outfits have `banned` Congress candidates and
their supporters for being against what they called the `revolutionary movement` in the state.
Official sources said insurgents have been attacking
Congress candidates and their supporters from January 8,
particularly in the valley districts of Imphal East, Imphal
West, Bishenpur and Thoubal by hurling grenades in many
places. More than five persons have been injured in such
attacks and some vehicles have been damaged.
Meanwhile, another militant outfit United Revolutionary
Front today said they too would boycott the January 28 polls
as it "would not bring anything good and would not help the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!