Two militants killed in gunfight
Shillong: Two militants were killed and some weapons and explosives recovered during a gunfight with a joint team of Meghalaya Police and Army in the state`s East Garo Hills district early on Saturday.
Acting on a tip-off that a group of militants of the Garo National Liberation Army and NDFB were at a Garo basti near Mendipathar, the security forces launched a manhunt on Friday evening, police said.
A heavy exchange of fire was reported in the wee hours of Saturday between the forces and the militants who were in an abandoned house at Garisimrang village, close to the Assam border.
Two unidentified militants were killed, while two or three others managed to escape.
One AK 47 rifle with two loaded magazines, one 9mm magazine, one hand grenade, one IED, two wireless sets and two mobile phones were found from the house.
Police were trying to confirm the identity of the slain rebels, who could be from the either of the tribal rebel groups.
A senior police official said there were more cadres in the house but a group had moved out before the operation started.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split