Two NDFB militants killed in Assam gun battle
Guwahati: Two separatists of the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) were killed in a gun battle with security forces in Assam Friday, an official said.
A police spokesperson said the fighting took place at Dadangiri village in Chirang district, about 170 km west of Assam`s main city of Guwahati.
"Based on specfic intelligence that a group of NDFB militants were taking shelter in a house we conducted a raid and soon there was an encounter," the police officer said.
The militants challenged the joint team of army and police and soon there was a fierce gun fight.
"After more than an hour long encounter, we managed to kill two NDFB militants and probably a few of them managed to escape," the officer said.
A large cache of weapons and explosives, including two pistols, detonators, and grenades were recovered from the dead rebels.
The NDFB is fighting for an independent homeland for the tribal Bodos in Assam.
At least 20 NDFB militants were killed in separate gun fights in the past three months in Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...