Two poachers killed in Kaziranga National Park
Golaghat (Assam): Two poachers were killed in an encounter with forest personnel inside the world-famed Kaziranga National Park here on Monday morning.
Acting on a tip-off about a group of poachers lurking inside the Park, forest guards launched an operation in Agratoli range and spotted the group near Turtarani camp, a park official said.
Caught unawares, the poachers started firing in a bid to escape and an encounter followed.
The forest guards gave a chase to the poachers and another gun battle ensued in the same range about an hour later in which two poachers were killed but four others managed to escape, the official said.
A .303 rifle and several rounds of ammunition have been recovered from the encounter site, sources said. The forest guards, joined by additional security forces, stepped up combing operation to apprehend the four escaped poachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday