Two poachers killed in Kaziranga National Park
Golaghat (Assam): Two poachers were killed in an encounter with forest personnel inside the world-famed Kaziranga National Park here on Monday morning.
Acting on a tip-off about a group of poachers lurking inside the Park, forest guards launched an operation in Agratoli range and spotted the group near Turtarani camp, a park official said.
Caught unawares, the poachers started firing in a bid to escape and an encounter followed.
The forest guards gave a chase to the poachers and another gun battle ensued in the same range about an hour later in which two poachers were killed but four others managed to escape, the official said.
A .303 rifle and several rounds of ammunition have been recovered from the encounter site, sources said. The forest guards, joined by additional security forces, stepped up combing operation to apprehend the four escaped poachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends