Two senior IAS officers among 7 charge-sheeted
Kochi: Two senior IAS officers, including former Collector of Lakshadweep Islands Abraham Varickamakkal, are among the seven accused against whom CBI has filed a charge sheet in a case relating to purchase of construction materials in the Union Territory between 2006-2008.
The charge sheet was filed before the CBI special court here yesterday.
The accused are Abraham Varickamakkal, former Collector and Development Commissioner and Chairman of Lakshadweep Building Development Board, his wife Kaberi Senapati hailing from Assam, former Administrator and Tamil Nadu native B V Selvaraj, Executive Engineer LPWD S Attakoya, M M Associates Beypore Managing Director H K Mohammed Kasim, his accountant Sajid M Parammel and businessman T P Naufal.
According to the charge sheet, Varickamakkal, who is the first accused, was alleged to have purchased materials without inviting tenders for various projects, causing a loss of about Rs one crore to the exchequer.
The accused had colluded by procuring granite chips, river sand and other construction materials from M M Associates for supply to the public without going through the tender process.
The two IAS officers and Attakoya had allegedly received cash and presents following the favour bestowed on the Beypore company. Though Selvaraj had first objected to the manner in which materials were being procured from M M Associates, he allegedly relented after gold necklace, drop studs and laptops were gifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings