Two senior IAS officers among 7 charge-sheeted
Kochi: Two senior IAS officers, including former Collector of Lakshadweep Islands Abraham Varickamakkal, are among the seven accused against whom CBI has filed a charge sheet in a case relating to purchase of construction materials in the Union Territory between 2006-2008.
The charge sheet was filed before the CBI special court here yesterday.
The accused are Abraham Varickamakkal, former Collector and Development Commissioner and Chairman of Lakshadweep Building Development Board, his wife Kaberi Senapati hailing from Assam, former Administrator and Tamil Nadu native B V Selvaraj, Executive Engineer LPWD S Attakoya, M M Associates Beypore Managing Director H K Mohammed Kasim, his accountant Sajid M Parammel and businessman T P Naufal.
According to the charge sheet, Varickamakkal, who is the first accused, was alleged to have purchased materials without inviting tenders for various projects, causing a loss of about Rs one crore to the exchequer.
The accused had colluded by procuring granite chips, river sand and other construction materials from M M Associates for supply to the public without going through the tender process.
The two IAS officers and Attakoya had allegedly received cash and presents following the favour bestowed on the Beypore company. Though Selvaraj had first objected to the manner in which materials were being procured from M M Associates, he allegedly relented after gold necklace, drop studs and laptops were gifted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'