UDP alleges nexus of Congress with GNLA in Meghalaya
Shillong: The United Democratic Party (UDP), a ruling coalition of the Congress in Meghalaya, Wednesday said the state government’s `laxity` in action against Garo National Liberation Army chief Champion Sangma `confirmed` the nexus of the militant outfit and the party`s legislators.
"The non application of state laws like the Meghalaya Preventive Detention Act to the arrested chairman of the GNLA, Champion Sangma, confirms the Congress party`s nexus with militancy," UDP working president Paul Lyngdoh told reporters after the party?s central executive committee meet here.
"The decision not to book him under MPD Act appears to have been coloured by certain consideration which reconfirms of our views of the nexus. The party is clear and we suspect that there is a nexus if not wholly, but partly Congress and partly GNLA," Paul said.
Champion Sangma had told reporters that he and the GNLA supported the Congress in the Garo Hills except in two constituencies and had said that he would contest the 2013 assembly elections in the state.
The Congress had distanced itself from the controversial `support` by the arrested GNLA chairman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- Seventeen killed in Nairobi floods and building collapse
- Real Estate Bill comes into force today
- Facebook India makes removal of offensive content a hard task
- Hundreds of protesters storm Baghdad’s Green Zone, break into Parliament
- Uttarakhand forest fire LIVE: 1500 villages under threat, govt issues alert