UDP alleges nexus of Congress with GNLA in Meghalaya
Shillong: The United Democratic Party (UDP), a ruling coalition of the Congress in Meghalaya, Wednesday said the state government’s `laxity` in action against Garo National Liberation Army chief Champion Sangma `confirmed` the nexus of the militant outfit and the party`s legislators.
"The non application of state laws like the Meghalaya Preventive Detention Act to the arrested chairman of the GNLA, Champion Sangma, confirms the Congress party`s nexus with militancy," UDP working president Paul Lyngdoh told reporters after the party?s central executive committee meet here.
"The decision not to book him under MPD Act appears to have been coloured by certain consideration which reconfirms of our views of the nexus. The party is clear and we suspect that there is a nexus if not wholly, but partly Congress and partly GNLA," Paul said.
Champion Sangma had told reporters that he and the GNLA supported the Congress in the Garo Hills except in two constituencies and had said that he would contest the 2013 assembly elections in the state.
The Congress had distanced itself from the controversial `support` by the arrested GNLA chairman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea