UDP demands Sangma`s resignation for militant nexus
Shillong: Opposition United Democratic Party (UDP) in Meghalaya on Monday demanded Chief Minister Mukul Sangma`s resignation accusing him of conniving with tribal Garo militants as was alleged by a militant leader and demanded a CBI enquiry into it.
"We demand the Chief Minister should step down in view of the alleged nexus with the militants group. We seek a CBI probe into it," UDP Working President Paul Lyngdoh told reporters here today.
"During the probe, it is only fair and natural that the Chief Minister should step down so that he does not use his influence or office to subvert the enquiry," he said.
In an open letter last week, a key leader of the militant outfit Achic National Volunteer Council (ANVC-B) in the Garo Hills had indicated about the alleged nexus.
"The very reason how you became Chief Minister from Deputy Chief Minister, you (Mukul Sangma) owe credit to us. We did our part to bring you to power," Ajaju R Marak, ANVC-B Political Secretary said in the letter.
National People`s Party (NPP) has also slammed the alleged nexus and termed it as "betrayal of the highest order".
"We are going to pursue this at the central level and insist on a NIA or CBI probe into the nexus," NPP leader James K Sangma said.
"We had raised this issue during our meeting with the Governor and had urged upon him on the need to enquire into the politico-militant nexus," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!