UDP demands Sangma`s resignation for militant nexus
Shillong: Opposition United Democratic Party (UDP) in Meghalaya on Monday demanded Chief Minister Mukul Sangma`s resignation accusing him of conniving with tribal Garo militants as was alleged by a militant leader and demanded a CBI enquiry into it.
"We demand the Chief Minister should step down in view of the alleged nexus with the militants group. We seek a CBI probe into it," UDP Working President Paul Lyngdoh told reporters here today.
"During the probe, it is only fair and natural that the Chief Minister should step down so that he does not use his influence or office to subvert the enquiry," he said.
In an open letter last week, a key leader of the militant outfit Achic National Volunteer Council (ANVC-B) in the Garo Hills had indicated about the alleged nexus.
"The very reason how you became Chief Minister from Deputy Chief Minister, you (Mukul Sangma) owe credit to us. We did our part to bring you to power," Ajaju R Marak, ANVC-B Political Secretary said in the letter.
National People`s Party (NPP) has also slammed the alleged nexus and termed it as "betrayal of the highest order".
"We are going to pursue this at the central level and insist on a NIA or CBI probe into the nexus," NPP leader James K Sangma said.
"We had raised this issue during our meeting with the Governor and had urged upon him on the need to enquire into the politico-militant nexus," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!