ULFA, 5 NE ultra groups call boycott of R-Day celebrations
Guwahati: ULFA-Independent and five other North East militant outfits have jointly called a boycott of Republic Day celebrations and a general strike that day in the entire region.
A `solidarity statement` by ULFA-I here today said the boycott and strike were called by the Coordination Committee (CorCom).
The `general strike` on January 26 will begin from 1 AM and end at 5 PM and cover all forms of transportation, movement of vehicles, entertainment including cinema and theatre shows and all activities of trade and commerce, the statement said.
However, the media, medical services and religious ceremonies shall be kept outside the purview of the general strike, it added.
The CorCom comprises Meghalaya-based Hynnewtrep Liberation Council, Kamatapur Liberation Organisation operating in Assam and Bengal, National Democratic Front of Bodoland of Assam and Tripura-based National Liberation Front of Tripura besides ULFA-I.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India