ULFA-govt peace talks on June 29
New Delhi: To give fresh impetus to the ongoing peace process, the Centre will hold dialogue with the ULFA on June 29 and discuss the group`s demands to find a lasting solution to the three-decade-old insurgency in Assam.
Union Home Secretary R K Singh will hold talks with the ULFA delegation, led by its `chairman` Arabinda Rajkhowa, and discuss on `charter of demands` as part of the government`s efforts to carry forward the dialogue process.
Observance of ground rules for ceasefire signed by both sides, surrender of arms and ammunition and total halt of operations by security forces against the pro-talk faction are some of the other issues which are expected to be discussed in the meeting, Home Ministry sources said.
Both sides will discuss various aspects of the group`s `charter of demands` which sought amendment in the Constitution for finding "meaningful" ways to protect the rights and identity of the indigenous people of Assam.
Representatives of the Assam government and Centre`s pointsman for ULFA talks P C Halder will also participate in the meeting.
The ULFA team will also call on Home Minister P Chidambaram.
Among other demands of the group include discussion on grounds for "ULFA`s struggle and their genuineness", status report on missing ULFA leaders and cadres numbering around 50 including those missing since 2005 when Bhutan government had conducted offensives, and other socio-economic issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days