ULFA not to participate in Assam Assembly polls
Guwahati: ULFA leaders and their cadres, now out on bail, will not participate in the upcoming Assembly elections in Assam, ULFA leader Sasadhar Choudhury said on Saturday.
"ULFA will have no connection with the elections. We
will keep away from the polls. We will not vote as our names
are not in the voters rolls," Choudhury told reporters here.
On being pointed out that they could vote as per the
law, he said, "we have been in the jungles for the last 31
years. Our names have been deleted from the voters list."
Asked if ULFA would be campaigning for any political
party or candidate, Choudhury said, "We will totally keep away
from the election process. None of us or our cadres will be
participating in it."
Chief Election Commissioner, SY Quraishi on Thursday
had told reporters in Guwahati that the members of the banned
outfits ULFA, NDFB and other insurgent groups could cast votes
if their names were in the voters roll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia