ULFA talks may begin in next few wks: Interlocutor
Guwahati: Hopes of holding formal peace talks
with the banned ULFA has brightened with the Centre`s
interlocutor on Wednesday indicating that the dialogue may begin in
the next few weeks, ahead of the Assam Assembly polls.
Centre`s interlocutor P C Haldar said the government and
the ULFA leadership were inching closer to start the parleys
for bringing a lasting peace into the Northeastern state.
"We have moved a little further. Now, I think, we are
closer to the stage where we should start the formal peace
process," Haldar, a former chief of the Intelligence Bureau,
Peace talks with ULFA may give a political boost to
Congress party -- which has been ruling Assam for the past ten
years -- before the Assembly elections likely to be held in
"There are one or two things which remain to be tied up.
It should be done in course of the next few days, few weeks,"
Top ULFA leaders, including the outfit`s `chairman`
Arabinda Rajkhowa, have been released from jail recently after
Assam government did not oppose their bail applications --
ostensibly to facilitate their participation in peace talks.
ULFA `general secretary` Anup Chetia, languishing in jail
in Dhaka since December 1997, is also likely to be handed over
to India, possibly before April, to allow him to take part in
the peace process.
Apart from Rajkhowa, ULFA`s `deputy commander-in-chief`
Raju Baruah, `vice-chairman` Pradip Gogoi and two other
leaders -- Mithinga Daimary and Bhimakanta Burhagohain -- have
already got bail.
`General secretary` Chitraban Hazarika and self-styled
foreign secretary Sasha Choudhary are still in a jail here
after their arrest along with Rajkhowa along the Indo-Bangla
border in Meghalaya in December 2009.
However, ULFA`s elusive `commander-in-chief` Paresh Baruah
is still opposed to holding any talks with the government.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi recently said that if
Baruah came forward for talks, the government would welcome
him but would not wait for him for an indefinite period.
The ULFA wants to hold its `general council` meeting
before entering the peace process which is likely to be
allowed by the government, even though it is still an outlawed
ULFA, which was formed on April 7, 1979, in the Upper
Assam town of Sibsagar, was declared a banned organisation by
the Union Home Ministry in November 1990 under the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'