ULFA threatens to attack security forces, vital installations
Guwahati: The outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) Wednesday threatened to attack security forces and vital installations in Assam ahead of India`s Republic Day.
"We are going to step up our offensive and target security forces and other vital installations," self-styled ULFA commander-in-chief Paresh Baruah said in an e-mailed statement.
Titled `new guidelines and instructions`, the rebel statement also warned of action against Assam Police personnel and informers.
"We are not going to spare those who act as informers to pass on inputs to the security forces," the ULFA leader said.
The rebel statement also threatened action against "intellectuals" who are anti-ULFA.
"We shall identify the intellectuals and first warn them and then take action on such people," the statement said.
The elusive separatist leader also threatened to take action on corrupt officials.
"Government officials who are corrupt would be dealt with sternly," the statement said.
The ULFA statement also asked people to capture and punish anybody who triggers bomb blasts.
"We shall not trigger blasts and if any body does so to defame us, people should not spare such bombers," the statement said.
The ULFA and other militant groups in Assam and other parts of the northeast are known to step up violent acts ahead of national celebrations like Republic Day and Independence Day.
The ULFA is a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland in Assam since 1979.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days