Ultras camping along border of North-East region
Jorhat: Groups of militants, including Maoists and ULFA (Independent), were camping along inter-state border of Assam and Indo-Myanmar boundary for subversive activities to be carried out during Durga Puja and Diwali, intelligence sources said here on Saturday.
Besides Assam border, the ultras were staying along the international border of Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland and the timing for the strike was so chosen as law and order personnel were primarily engaged in security duty during that period, said intelligence sources, looking after Upper Assam range, including the two states.
Cadres of CPI(Maoist), Paresh Baruah-led ULFA(I), NSCN, United Liberation Council of Arunachal (ULCA) and Tai Ahom Liberation Tiger Force of Asom (TALTFA) were moving along the three border states and serving extortion notes since the last couple of weeks.
The recent arrest of five cadres, two ULCA members and three Maoists, from the area brought to light about emergence of two new organisations - TALTFA formed on June 16 and ULCA on September 3, they said.
Their interrogation revealed that a group of ULFA(I) cadres were undergoing training in the camp to be followed by ULCA cadres.
Money collected by extortion would meet the cost of training in camps of Myanmar and procuring arms and ammunition, they said, adding NSCN was acting as a guide of the other groups as it had got good hold in those areas.
The sources said security forces would strike and crack down on the militants whenever they engage in terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi