Ultras camping along border of North-East region
Jorhat: Groups of militants, including Maoists and ULFA (Independent), were camping along inter-state border of Assam and Indo-Myanmar boundary for subversive activities to be carried out during Durga Puja and Diwali, intelligence sources said here on Saturday.
Besides Assam border, the ultras were staying along the international border of Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland and the timing for the strike was so chosen as law and order personnel were primarily engaged in security duty during that period, said intelligence sources, looking after Upper Assam range, including the two states.
Cadres of CPI(Maoist), Paresh Baruah-led ULFA(I), NSCN, United Liberation Council of Arunachal (ULCA) and Tai Ahom Liberation Tiger Force of Asom (TALTFA) were moving along the three border states and serving extortion notes since the last couple of weeks.
The recent arrest of five cadres, two ULCA members and three Maoists, from the area brought to light about emergence of two new organisations - TALTFA formed on June 16 and ULCA on September 3, they said.
Their interrogation revealed that a group of ULFA(I) cadres were undergoing training in the camp to be followed by ULCA cadres.
Money collected by extortion would meet the cost of training in camps of Myanmar and procuring arms and ammunition, they said, adding NSCN was acting as a guide of the other groups as it had got good hold in those areas.
The sources said security forces would strike and crack down on the militants whenever they engage in terrorist activities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued