UN critical of proposed big dams in North-East
Shillong: Critical of the proposed big
dams in the North-East, an UN envoy has said such
developmental projects should not infringe upon the rights of
the local indigenous people.
"I have learnt that the government proposes to set up
some 100 dams in the North-East of India. It may be a clean
source of energy, but it should not be carried out at the cost
of the rights of the local indigenous people," Chairperson of
United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, Victoria
Tauli Corpuz said here yesterday during the course of a
She said the government and the agencies implementing
the projects, should take prior consent of the locals.
Issues such as deforestation, displacement and impact
on environment should be addressed by the government, she
Blaming developed nations for the adversities of
climate change, she said those countries are now eyeing the
tropical forests in the developing countries for rescuing
"They (developed countries) have saturated the
environment with carbon emission, and now they are asking
developing nations to resort to carbon neutral developmental
activities," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3