Unable to afford treatment, parents kill baby girl
Agartala: Unable to afford costly treatment for their six-month-old daughter, a daily-wage labourer and his wife strangled her to death and dumped her body in a ditch near their home, Tripura Police said Friday.
Police Thursday arrested Laba Debnath, 53, the father of the ill-fated child, who confessed that he and his wife killed their baby girl Lina and later dumped her in a ditch near their Teliamura home in west Tripura, 55 km northeast of the state capital.
A police official, quoting the girl`s father, said: "The baby had tetanus and also suffered a haemorrhage. Doctors had prescribed medicines that cost Rs.1,500 each day; one injection was priced at Rs.900 per dose."
"Laba Debnath (the girl`s father) told us that the cost of his baby`s treatment was way beyond his means as the sole breadwinner and daily-wage earner having to fend for his five-member family," the official said.
The family had sought the help of the village panchayat and the local administration, but to no avail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Delhi HC puts on hold JNU action against Umar, Anirban
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 2: GL vs SRH – 5 facts you must know ahead of virtual semi-final
- China to send lunar probe 'Chang'e 5' on moon!
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 30. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- Barack Obama arrives at Hiroshima atomic bomb park