Unemployment biggest problem in Assam: CM
Guwahati: Unemployment is the biggest problem facing Assam and imparting modern skill to youths can eradicate it to a large extent, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said Friday.
"Lack of expertise among our youths means that we have to bring even semi-skilled workers from other states for working in major projects like Gas Cracker in Lepetkata. We need to change the pattern of education and put more emphasis on skill development," he said at a programme here.
"The state government is planning to upgrade ITIs and all such centres within the 12th Plan period and our target is to get over the problem of skill shortage within the next five years," he said.
He said that with the change in habit and rise in income levels, there is a demand for professionals in service like plumbing, fashion, furniture making, agri-industry and vehicle repair and maintenance.
Assam government is planning to set up multi-disciplinary skill training centres in all the 219 blocks across the state within the current 12th Five Year Plan period (2012-17), State Industry and Commerce Minister Pradyut Bordoloi said in the programme.
The first five such centres will be operational within months and 23 will be operational by end of the current financial year, he said.
"Training will be provided by private sector groups with expertise in the relevant trades. We have identified 50 trades, which are not taught in ITIs, which will be taken up at multi-disciplinary centres," Bordoloi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda