UNLF trying to join hands with Maoists
New Delhi: In what could pose a grave threat to the country’s internal security, the United National Liberation Front, which is active in the North-East, is aiming to establish relationship with the CPI(Maoists).
According to exclusive details available with Zee News, eleven top rung cadres of the banned UNLF, who were recently nabbed by the Assam Police, have revealed that the top leadership of the dreaded organisation is aiming to partner with the Maoists and support them at all possible levels.
The arrested cadres have also revealed that the Manipur Peoples Army (MPA) - the armed wing of the UNLF – is trying to recruit educated and competent youth in order to further strengthen and intensify its movement.
UNLF, which is the largest and the oldest Meitei insurgent group in the North-East region, has amassed a huge stock pile of arms and ammunition and established a well entrenched extortion network spread across all segments of the region’s economy.
Over the years, the organisation has grown to contain several separate functional departments that are engaged in a wide range of activities including recruitment, training, acquiring weaponry, money extortion and disbursing compensation and wages to serving cadres’ families etc.
The confidential revelations made by the arrested men are alarming and warrant urgent action and greater co-ordination among various security agencies, Centre and state governments to counter them.
These cadres were arrested in a major operation launched by Assam Police following crucial inputs from the Intelligence Bureau on the intervening night of August 18-19 from Guwahati.
During the operation, five laptops, one satellite phone, twenty mobile handsets, three digital camera, Rs 2.64 lakhs in cash, three ATM cards, two Axis bank credit cards, two PAN cards and six pen drives containing crucial information about the administrative set-up were recovered by the Assam Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...