`Use of money, muscle power during polls rising`
Shillong: Rounding up the election review in three poll-bound states in the north east, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath Tuesday said the Commission is wary of the use of money and muscle powers during the process.
"Flying squads will be constituted to go to the spot where there is evidence of movement of cash or other objects to see that they don`t exercise undue influences on the polls," Kumar said at a press conference here.
He said candidates will be directed to open a separate bank account specifically for the poll expenses and election officials would be keeping a tab at all expenses of each candidate.
The Hills State Peoples Democratic Party (HSPDP), a regional party supporting the ruling Congress coalition government in Meghalaya, has expressed concern at intimidation through money and muscle power during electioneering demanding strict action against defaulters.
"Under our new instruction the candidate or his agent will be required to visit our returning officers accounting wing...And they will maintain shadow register of expenditure of each of the candidates," Sampath said.
While the Election Commission has put a ceiling of Rs 8 lakh expenditure for each candidate in small states like Meghalaya, Tripura and Nagaland, the EC commissioner said, "A comprehensive expenditure monitoring instruction was also issued on how to deal with such instances including paid news items."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared