`Use of money, muscle power during polls rising`
Shillong: Rounding up the election review in three poll-bound states in the north east, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath Tuesday said the Commission is wary of the use of money and muscle powers during the process.
"Flying squads will be constituted to go to the spot where there is evidence of movement of cash or other objects to see that they don`t exercise undue influences on the polls," Kumar said at a press conference here.
He said candidates will be directed to open a separate bank account specifically for the poll expenses and election officials would be keeping a tab at all expenses of each candidate.
The Hills State Peoples Democratic Party (HSPDP), a regional party supporting the ruling Congress coalition government in Meghalaya, has expressed concern at intimidation through money and muscle power during electioneering demanding strict action against defaulters.
"Under our new instruction the candidate or his agent will be required to visit our returning officers accounting wing...And they will maintain shadow register of expenditure of each of the candidates," Sampath said.
While the Election Commission has put a ceiling of Rs 8 lakh expenditure for each candidate in small states like Meghalaya, Tripura and Nagaland, the EC commissioner said, "A comprehensive expenditure monitoring instruction was also issued on how to deal with such instances including paid news items."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video