`Use of money, muscle power during polls rising`
Shillong: Rounding up the election review in three poll-bound states in the north east, Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath Tuesday said the Commission is wary of the use of money and muscle powers during the process.
"Flying squads will be constituted to go to the spot where there is evidence of movement of cash or other objects to see that they don`t exercise undue influences on the polls," Kumar said at a press conference here.
He said candidates will be directed to open a separate bank account specifically for the poll expenses and election officials would be keeping a tab at all expenses of each candidate.
The Hills State Peoples Democratic Party (HSPDP), a regional party supporting the ruling Congress coalition government in Meghalaya, has expressed concern at intimidation through money and muscle power during electioneering demanding strict action against defaulters.
"Under our new instruction the candidate or his agent will be required to visit our returning officers accounting wing...And they will maintain shadow register of expenditure of each of the candidates," Sampath said.
While the Election Commission has put a ceiling of Rs 8 lakh expenditure for each candidate in small states like Meghalaya, Tripura and Nagaland, the EC commissioner said, "A comprehensive expenditure monitoring instruction was also issued on how to deal with such instances including paid news items."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest