VC arrested for sending `offensive` e-mail in Arunachal
Itanagar: The Vice-Chancellor of the
Rajiv Gandhi Central University, K C Belliappa, has been
briefly arrested on charge of sending an `offensive` e-mail to
a lady faculty member.
Belliappa, who was later released on bail, was rounded
up yesterday by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of police
here on a complaint by a woman colleague who lodged an FIR
under sections 66/A and 66/C of the IT Amendment Act against
the VC, ASP J K Mehta said.
In her complaint, the woman had accused the VC of
making derogatory reply to an e-mail sent from her mail id on
April l3 last.
The first mail, sent from her account, had been sent
without her knowledge by "some unknown person using my mail
id", but the VC made derogatory comments in a return mail,
without ascertaining, the complainant claimed.
The development capped the months` long agitation by
students against Belliappa alleging he had indulged in
nepotism and demanding the VC be removed. This prompted the VC
to announce he will shift office to Delhi in a press release
on May 2.
The VC also volunteered to Union Human Resources
Development Ministry for any probe not only against him but
also to examine all the recent incidents in the campus.
In February, the university lodged an FIR against
unknown youths for assaulting the VC at his residence in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter