VC arrested for sending `offensive` e-mail in Arunachal
Itanagar: The Vice-Chancellor of the
Rajiv Gandhi Central University, K C Belliappa, has been
briefly arrested on charge of sending an `offensive` e-mail to
a lady faculty member.
Belliappa, who was later released on bail, was rounded
up yesterday by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) of police
here on a complaint by a woman colleague who lodged an FIR
under sections 66/A and 66/C of the IT Amendment Act against
the VC, ASP J K Mehta said.
In her complaint, the woman had accused the VC of
making derogatory reply to an e-mail sent from her mail id on
April l3 last.
The first mail, sent from her account, had been sent
without her knowledge by "some unknown person using my mail
id", but the VC made derogatory comments in a return mail,
without ascertaining, the complainant claimed.
The development capped the months` long agitation by
students against Belliappa alleging he had indulged in
nepotism and demanding the VC be removed. This prompted the VC
to announce he will shift office to Delhi in a press release
on May 2.
The VC also volunteered to Union Human Resources
Development Ministry for any probe not only against him but
also to examine all the recent incidents in the campus.
In February, the university lodged an FIR against
unknown youths for assaulting the VC at his residence in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi launches 'Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana' on Labour Day, calls himself no. 1 labourer of India
- La Liga 2015-16: Barcelona beat Betis to remain top, Atletico, Real keep up pressure
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump calls California protesters 'thugs, criminals'
- Arvind Kejriwal questions PM Narendra Modi's qualification, report claims he scored 62.3% in MA
- WATCH: When Virat Kohli applauded David Warner's 'helicopter' shot during SRH-RCB match