Vigilance week observed in Nagaland
Kohima: Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar
and Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio today called on public servants
and the people to promote transparency and accountability in
the system for eradication of corruption.
In a message on the observance of Vigilance Week the
governor expressed concern that `greasing the palms of public
servants` to get favours has become the norm rather than an
Kumar said that the Naga society, once known for its
simplicity, honesty and simplicity, has completely changed in
the present day.
He highlighted the steps by the Centre such as Right
to Information Act 2005 and Prevention of Corruption Act 1988,
to ensure transparency saying that Parliament was in the
process of passing the Lokpal Bill to combat corruption.
Nikhil said that the anti-corruption drive would
succeed only if it was like a public-private-partnership.
In a separate message, the chief minister pointed out
that India still ranked 84th in the corruption according to a
Transparency International survey in 2009.
Referring to the recent controversies in the country
arising out of the 2G scam, Commonwealth Games and
cash-for-vote scam, Rio said the events only revealed
how deeply rooted corruption was.
Rio described the recent movements against corruption
in support of the Lokpal Bill as a very positive indication
that the society yearned for a corruption-free country and
that it needed to be tackled firmly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!