Vigilance week observed in Nagaland
Kohima: Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar
and Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio today called on public servants
and the people to promote transparency and accountability in
the system for eradication of corruption.
In a message on the observance of Vigilance Week the
governor expressed concern that `greasing the palms of public
servants` to get favours has become the norm rather than an
Kumar said that the Naga society, once known for its
simplicity, honesty and simplicity, has completely changed in
the present day.
He highlighted the steps by the Centre such as Right
to Information Act 2005 and Prevention of Corruption Act 1988,
to ensure transparency saying that Parliament was in the
process of passing the Lokpal Bill to combat corruption.
Nikhil said that the anti-corruption drive would
succeed only if it was like a public-private-partnership.
In a separate message, the chief minister pointed out
that India still ranked 84th in the corruption according to a
Transparency International survey in 2009.
Referring to the recent controversies in the country
arising out of the 2G scam, Commonwealth Games and
cash-for-vote scam, Rio said the events only revealed
how deeply rooted corruption was.
Rio described the recent movements against corruption
in support of the Lokpal Bill as a very positive indication
that the society yearned for a corruption-free country and
that it needed to be tackled firmly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP