Vijay Diwas observed in Assam
Tezpur: Remembering its valiant
heroes who laid down lives in the Bangladesh liberation war,
the Gajraj Corps of the Indian Amry observed `Vijay Diwas`
here on Friday.
Chief of Staff of Gajraj Corps, Maj Gen D K Purohit, laid
a wreath at the War Memorial here and the contingent of the
Ceremony Guard sounded the `last post`.
A two-minute silence was observed in remembrance of the
soldiers who laid down their lives on this day in 1971.
The valour of Indian armed forces was testimony to the
fact that the combined might of the Army, Navy, Air Force and
the para-military forces achieved a decisive victory over
Pakistan, said army spokesman here Col N N Joshi.
"It led to the largest surrender of more than 90,000
Pakistani soldiers. The multi-pronged swift operation by the
armed forces was executed with great precision which led to
the formation of Bangladesh from erstwhile East Pakistan," Col
He said the biggest challenge for the Corps was crossing
the mighty Meghna river without crossing expedients as the
bridge was destroyed by withdrawing Pakistani troops. The
river was crossed by helicopters and local craft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured