Vijay Diwas observed in Assam
Tezpur: Remembering its valiant
heroes who laid down lives in the Bangladesh liberation war,
the Gajraj Corps of the Indian Amry observed `Vijay Diwas`
here on Friday.
Chief of Staff of Gajraj Corps, Maj Gen D K Purohit, laid
a wreath at the War Memorial here and the contingent of the
Ceremony Guard sounded the `last post`.
A two-minute silence was observed in remembrance of the
soldiers who laid down their lives on this day in 1971.
The valour of Indian armed forces was testimony to the
fact that the combined might of the Army, Navy, Air Force and
the para-military forces achieved a decisive victory over
Pakistan, said army spokesman here Col N N Joshi.
"It led to the largest surrender of more than 90,000
Pakistani soldiers. The multi-pronged swift operation by the
armed forces was executed with great precision which led to
the formation of Bangladesh from erstwhile East Pakistan," Col
He said the biggest challenge for the Corps was crossing
the mighty Meghna river without crossing expedients as the
bridge was destroyed by withdrawing Pakistani troops. The
river was crossed by helicopters and local craft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH