Village chief held for forcing man to eat human excreta
Shillong: A village chief in Meghalaya’s East Khasi Hills district and two other office bearers, involved in forcing an alleged witchcraft practitioner to eat human excreta, were on Friday arrested hours after they surrendered , police said.
“We have arrested the head of Mawryngkang village,his deputy and the secretary of the village after they surrendered,” District Superintendent of Police M Kharkrang told.
He said, the three had evaded arrest when a police team had gone to the village to secure their arrest but early today they surrendered at his office.
The trio were involved in an inhumane act of forcing an alleged witchcraft practitioner in their village to eat human excreta on July 20 infront of the villagers.
Kharkrang said the trio have been booked under relevant sections of the law for violating human rights and cases against them were registered at Pynursla PS.
Noping Khongsit, a resident of the Mawryngkang village near Pynursla, about 50 km from here, was penalised by members of his own village council on the grounds that he and his family were practising witchcraft.
Khongsit was forced to eat human excreta based on allegation of four girls that they were suffering from unusual diseases, which villagers alleged Khongsit as the culprit.
Mawryngkang assistant village chief, Thwer Tynsong, admitted to have forcefully punished Khongsit but defended that it was a unanimous decision of the villagers to impose such inhumane punishment on Khongsit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states