Village chief held for forcing man to eat human excreta
Shillong: A village chief in Meghalaya’s East Khasi Hills district and two other office bearers, involved in forcing an alleged witchcraft practitioner to eat human excreta, were on Friday arrested hours after they surrendered , police said.
“We have arrested the head of Mawryngkang village,his deputy and the secretary of the village after they surrendered,” District Superintendent of Police M Kharkrang told.
He said, the three had evaded arrest when a police team had gone to the village to secure their arrest but early today they surrendered at his office.
The trio were involved in an inhumane act of forcing an alleged witchcraft practitioner in their village to eat human excreta on July 20 infront of the villagers.
Kharkrang said the trio have been booked under relevant sections of the law for violating human rights and cases against them were registered at Pynursla PS.
Noping Khongsit, a resident of the Mawryngkang village near Pynursla, about 50 km from here, was penalised by members of his own village council on the grounds that he and his family were practising witchcraft.
Khongsit was forced to eat human excreta based on allegation of four girls that they were suffering from unusual diseases, which villagers alleged Khongsit as the culprit.
Mawryngkang assistant village chief, Thwer Tynsong, admitted to have forcefully punished Khongsit but defended that it was a unanimous decision of the villagers to impose such inhumane punishment on Khongsit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi