Village chief held for forcing man to eat human excreta
Shillong: A village chief in Meghalaya’s East Khasi Hills district and two other office bearers, involved in forcing an alleged witchcraft practitioner to eat human excreta, were on Friday arrested hours after they surrendered , police said.
“We have arrested the head of Mawryngkang village,his deputy and the secretary of the village after they surrendered,” District Superintendent of Police M Kharkrang told.
He said, the three had evaded arrest when a police team had gone to the village to secure their arrest but early today they surrendered at his office.
The trio were involved in an inhumane act of forcing an alleged witchcraft practitioner in their village to eat human excreta on July 20 infront of the villagers.
Kharkrang said the trio have been booked under relevant sections of the law for violating human rights and cases against them were registered at Pynursla PS.
Noping Khongsit, a resident of the Mawryngkang village near Pynursla, about 50 km from here, was penalised by members of his own village council on the grounds that he and his family were practising witchcraft.
Khongsit was forced to eat human excreta based on allegation of four girls that they were suffering from unusual diseases, which villagers alleged Khongsit as the culprit.
Mawryngkang assistant village chief, Thwer Tynsong, admitted to have forcefully punished Khongsit but defended that it was a unanimous decision of the villagers to impose such inhumane punishment on Khongsit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what