Villagers lynch two men in Tripura
Agartala: A mob hacked to death two elderly men and critically injured another in Tripura mistaking them to be child lifters, police said here on Sunday.
According to police, the victims, Abdul Rupkhan, 50, and Raj Kumar Chowdhury, 60, and Nirmal Sarkar, 55, with their two grand children were praying at their ancestral land at Manikpur in northern Tripura, 160 km north of here, Saturday night when the villagers lynched them, mistaking them to be child-lifters.
Abdul Rupkhan, is a resident of Karimganj in southern Assam while Raj Kumar Chowdhury is inhabitant of northern Tripura.
"A mob severely beat Abdul, Raj Kumar and Nirmal Sarkar mistaking them to be childlifters. Abdul and Raj Kumar died on the spot while Nirmal has been shifted to the hospital," sub-divisional police officer Nabadwip Jamatia said by phone.
Police have arrested three people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj